WHAT IS THE JOB OF A FIRE OFFICER
To control and extinguish fires, protect lives and property, maintain equipment and participate in other Departmental and National functions.
HOW TO JOIN
Applicants between 18 & 35 years old can be enlisted in the St. Kitts and Nevis Fire & Rescue Services.
The steps are as follows:
- Collect an Application Form from the Headquarters or Administration Office at Ponds Pasture, Basseterre.
- Complete and return the Application Form.
- The applicant will be informed of the Entry Examination date.
- If successful the applicant will be notified of the Interview date.
- Applicant must present a clean police Record and be of good character.
- Applicant will be required to undergo a medical Examination.
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES OF A FIRE OFFICER
- To respond to fire, emergency and non-emergency calls.
- To wear protective clothing when participating in fires or hazardous situations and as directed by higher authority
- To protect/preserve the scene of the fire or accident, all evidence that may indicate the cause.
- To search, rescue and perform fire suppression operations.
- To provide First Aid assistance to casualties, and to extricate victims from damaged vehicles when necessary.
- To carry out routine fire prevention inspections and inspect fire hydrants
- To use Breathing Apparatus Sets, hand tools and associated equipment when instructed by the officer in charge
- To participate in drills, demonstration lectures or other forms of training to keep up to date on current firefighting techniques and rescue operations.
- To perform control room duties.
- To perform any other related duties as required.