Her Majesty’s Prison serves the public by keeping in custody those committed by the courts. Our duty is to care for them with humanity and help them with lead law abiding and useful lives in custody and after release.
Our vision is to provide a service which the public can be proud of and which will be regarded as a standard of excellence around the world.
The principle goals of the prison service are to:
- Security – Keep the prisoners in custody
- Control – Maintain order, control, discipline and a safe environmental surroundings
- Care – Provide decent conditions for prisioners and meet their needs including health care
- Provide positive regimes(Methods) which help prisoners address their offending behaviors (Purpose)
- Progress – Help prisoners prepare for their return in the community
- Efficiency – Delivering prison services using the resources provided by Parliament with maximum efficiency